Sunday, March 7, 2010

SABBATH

“Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord you God. On it you shall not do any work… For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.” Exodus 20:8-11

As I waited for an offer over the weekend I tried hard to not be anxious. I tried to give it all to God.

This morning as I was reading “Velvet Elvis” by Rob Bell. In one section he talks about the Sabbath. God modeled taking a day of rest and he commands it. I have always been a firm believer in having a “Sabbath” or a day of rest each week, but I often forget that it isn’t just a command—it is a gift! As Rob Bell says:

"Sabbath is taking a day a week to remind myself that I did not make the world and that it will continue to exist without my efforts
Sabbath is a day when my work is done, even if it isn’t.
Sabbath is a day when my job is to enjoy. Period.
Sabbath is a day when I am fully available to myself and those I love most.
Sabbath is a day when I remember that when God made the world, he saw that it was good.
Sabbath is a day when I produce nothing.
Sabbath is a day when I remind myself that I am not a machine.
Sabbath is a day when at the end I say, “I didn’t do anything today,” and I don’t add, “And I feel so guilty.”

No comments:

Post a Comment