Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Journeys of the Unemployed


September 11th, 2008 I waved goodbye to my wonderful life and amazing friends in Erseke, Albania. I had a plan. I was going to move back to America, live with my Grandfather for about 6 months before I got a job and my own place somewhere in the Pacific Northwest.

Things did NOT go as planned. In Journeys of the Unemployed I shall share my wade through career-less-ness and the events of my unending search for that elusive job.

As I have been career-less for almost 15 months already I shall sum up all I have experienced and learned so far before beginning a journal of the present.

The BEGINNING—First Job (October-December 2008):

The first employment I sought was at a Pet Supply Corporation that shall remain nameless. Before moving to Albania I had worked in the Groom Shop of this ‘wonderful, pet loving corporate’ and enjoyed every moment of it. I hoped to hop back into the dog bather job and play while looking for my ‘career’. I was given my job back without an interview. Unfortunately there had been staff changes during those two years I was away and the new employees made my life very challenging. I found myself and clients being lied to, a very broken woman bullying her employee, and working with the dogs became oppressive instead of joyful for me. I had to learn where I have to draw lines for my own personal morality and the life that Christ calls me to lead. I ended up quitting. Having never quit before I struggled too long over the decision and then received much freedom after it was over.

This job reaffirmed in me that, though I hated those working conditions, I still loved working with both the animals and the wonderful people who own them.

After three short months back in the states I was unemployed again. I had found few jobs in my field to apply for and I never heard back from those I did apply with. It hadn’t been long but at the same time I was already disturbed at the low number of available positions to apply for.

1 comment:

  1. Don't leave us hanging! What happened after that December?

    ReplyDelete