Sunday, June 6, 2010

Post Op!

I have survived and fully recovered from my first surgery! It was wonderful now that it is over. The morning of the surgery involved a lot of waiting while wearing a BRIGHT green hospital robe. I sure felt silly. My daddy waited with me as nurses came in and out of the room getting information. Catheters hurt a lot more than I thought they would. You can feel then in your veins! Weird. The anesthesiologist was a bit crazy. She gave me a commentary on medicines I was taking though she didn't know my history or anything. I just hope there is no one that listens to her and haves major health issues!

When it came time for the surgery they wheeled me to the OR on my bed. I wanted to see where I was going so I would hold my head up and they kept telling me to relax and push me back down. As I entered surgery they cleaned the wheels of my bed... I had fun breathing in the special gas that put me to sleep. The last thing I remember was wanting to tell them that my hand felt really weird as they pumped stuff into my catheter but not being able to move. 

Next thing I know several people are crowded around me, talking to me, wiping my face, trying to get me to wake up and I was FREEZING. I began shaking uncontrollably, but then the best thing EVER happened...they put some sort of blanket on me that they blew warm air into. It inflated gently with warm air that covered and cuddled me--like a soft, inflatable, raft for floating in the pool. I so want one of these for my house!!

All too soon they were removing this and rolling me and my bed back to my room. The pain began. For several hours I was in and out of consciousness as the nurses came in and out to check on me and the effects of the anesthetic wore off. They brought me two things of ice cream--I ate two bites. 

My wonderful brother and sister came to visit me but I could only say hi and that I was sleepy. I love that they visited, but couldn't entertain them so they left after only a short while and I slept more. 

The doctor came and wanted to know how I was. I told him in a raspy voice that I hurt a lot. He laughed at me!! Apparently I smiled while saying I was in pain and no one ever does that. He said I could leave after 6pm, but he also brought more food and said I HAD to eat it before I could leave--one ice cream, one yogurt, a creme caramel pudding cup and a box of apple juice. I admit, I didn't drink the apple juice...all we know about apple juice suggests it shouldn't burn but it did, burned a lot! I didn't drink it.

At a little before 6pm Dad showed up. He brought me an adorable stuff camel, picked up my medicine and we left. I even got wheeled out in a wheel chair!!

This is my mouth tonsil free! Taken 7 days post-op.

Once again I praise God for my unemployment!! Recovery required 10 days at home and then it was a full two weeks before I was one hundred percent again.

No comments:

Post a Comment